Saturday, September 23, 2017

How Bullwinkle Taught Kids Sophisticated Political Satire

How Bullwinkle Taught Kids Sophisticated Political Satire: “Mr. Chairman, I am against all foreign aid, especially to places like Hawaii and Alaska,” says Senator Fussmussen from the floor of a cartoon Senate in 1962. In the visitors’ gallery, Russian agents Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale are deciding whether to use their secret “Goof Gas” gun to turn the Congress stupid, as they did to all the rocket scientists and professors in the last episode of “Bullwinkle.”

2 comments:

George said...

Loved Rocky and Bullwinke when I was a kid. Later, I figured out the sub-text. Very clever!

Boris Badenov and Natasha hacked our Election!

Karin said...

Good article. I watched it with my father and I guess we understood different things at the time. But now I have DVDs! And get almost all the jokes.

This time my third round of picture clicking demanded I identify desks, of all things.