Wednesday, July 19, 2017

FFB on Wednesday -- Jack of Eagles -- James Blish

Jack of Eagles is an origin story about a man named Danny Caiden, who has great psi powers and is learning to harness them.  Psi powers were a very big thing in the '50s SF digests that I read, especially Astounding, I believe.  It's a short book, but it's also a kitchen-sink book, with just about everything you could ask for in the way of psi powers being tossed in: Rhine cards, the Fortean Society, fortune telling, a romance, gypsies, travel into possible futures, lots of action, pseudo-scientific and mathematical explanations for psi powers, predicting the future, and probably a few other things I've forgotten. 

The action comes from the shady Brotherhood that wants to use Caiden to change the future so that they can be in control of the world.  Several of the Brotherhood also have strong psi powers, so the battles are tough ones.  The members of the Brotherhood have only one psi power each, though, and Caiden has them all.

The book is short and fast, and it was well-reviewed when it appeared.  It's dated  now, but if you're in the right frame of mind, it can be fun.  And did I mention that it was short?  Always a virtue in my mind.

5 comments:

Janis Gore said...

Got it.

Janis Gore said...

I went through a spell of New Age stuff when I lived in NYC. Had a good friend who was a healer. Primal therapy, Rolfing, color therapy, I've done it all. There is something to the connection between emotions and health.

It's been studied. When I took yoga as a PE course at SMU, the yoga teacher recommended this book, Minding the Body, Mending the Mind by Joan Borysenko:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VRP3M8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

A brief bio for Dr. Borysenko is here:

http://www.joanborysenko.com/about-joan/

She's not a crank, or at least wasn't when she started.

Janis Gore said...

And look at how healthy I am!

George said...

I've read of James Blish's work over the years including JACK OF EAGLES. Blish's is an underrated writer.

Unknown said...

This has been one of my comfort reads for a number of years. I have an old raggedy paperback I bought when I was first published. It is a quick read, and a bit dated. But I think that only enhances the enjoyment.